|Location||Allen Hall seminary, Beaufort Street, Chelsea|
|OS grid reference||TQ 26864 77671|
|Largest height (m)||7.60|
|Largest girth (cm)||162|
An old tree in a courtyard behind the seminary, propped up with rods and chains, is claimed by a sign to have been planted by Thomas More when he built Beaufort House on the banks of the Thames at Chelsea around 1520. While old, and paired with another beautiful specimen in the Hall's gardens (and several younger trees), it is unlikely to be 16th century, although the present trees may have come from the original, which we know More planted (partly because of the heart-shaped leaves of the tree, partly because of the pun in More / Morus).
Help us survey London's mulberry trees to update the National Biodiversity Network's records.
Its hard to find mulberry fruit in the shops, but London has a bountiful supply of trees to forage from!